So I got a phone call from my doctors office. They had done some lab work and I opted to have them run the test for down syndrome and everything else. I know that some people don't even like to know...but I'm a planner. So I said I didn't care. I knew that no matter what came back I would not terminate my pregnancy.
Just as a side note...Back when I had my first pregnancy(which I lost) I had a doctor offer me to have a DNC done simply because the baby could be born with discolored teeth! This was due to some medication that I had taken (for rocky mountain spotted fever or a form of lime disease...stupid Texas!!) a little while before I had gotten pregnant. I thought it was crazy that they would even ask, or that the world has come to the point that they would terminate a pregnancy for cosmetic reasons, and doctors now have to ask.
Anyway, I was told that my test results came back with elevated risk. He said that someone my age/health would have like a 1 in 150,000 chance(or some super high number like that) of having a down syndrome baby. But that because the results came back the way they did the numbers are something like 1 in 156 pregnancies.
So they said that an appointment was scheduled for me this Friday to have an in depth ultrasound done to help determine what the outcome might be. The first thing that came to my mind was, "Yahoo, I get to know what I'm having even sooner than next Tuesday!" I told you I'm a planner!
I am interested to see what they will find. I know that people get false positive results(or I think I've heard that) all the time. So I'm not super worried about it. Either way I look at it this way; I have had two pregnancies that have not gone to full term. Through my own personal time spent on my knees in deep prayer with the Lord, I know that my children need a specific body to accomplish what the Lord needs them to do here on this earth. So, if this baby needs a body that is down syndrome, then so be it. Hey, I'll have one kid go to the celestial kingdom for sure! :) Anyways, just thought I'd share. I'll give you the update after Friday.



6 comments:
Valerie, you are awesome! I hope you know that. If everyone could be more like you, there would be so many more happy people with amazing babies. Thanks for being a great example to me.=)
Your positive attitude is inspiring. I'm happy that you've already decided that no matter what you are going to love your baby.
I've also heard that the tests can be false. I think they would have to do an amniocentesis to be %100 sure of the down syndrome prognosis.
i cant believe that you are that far along already. You need to put up some pictures of your cute belly! I miss your guts.
Wow. I didn't do the test because it was going to cost a lot or something. With Tyson they saw a white spot on his heart in the ultrasound we had to determine his gender. They sent us to a specialist; it's nice to have lots of ultrasound pictures. It turned out to be a calcium deposit but it could have been something that was a sign of down syndrome. It's an overwhelming thought to think of caring for a child with down syndrome but at least we know it's in God's hands. He only gives us trials we can handle.
Hi Valerie! I just found your blog. I haven't been keeping my blog updated... and am trying to get back into this again. I didn't even know you were pregnant. Congratulations! Do you know what you're having yet? Have you thought of names? Hope you are all doing well! - Dana :)
I hate that people will have an abortion over anything nowasays. And the sad thing is the huge probability that the doctors are wrong! Our girls were in the same sack and were so close together that they thought they could be conjoined, but that was way early on in the pregnancy. They were wrong, what if we had taken the option to terminate? (not that I would). My sister's second daughter was supposed to be born with all of these problems, and she is perfectly normal too.
Post a Comment